Friday, March 9, 2012

Blog Switch: For the Love of Roses

Hello, Eye Heart It readers! My name is Liz and I run a sometimes-downer blog about attempting to reduce beauty products over at Beauty Reductionista. Thanks for having me and thanks to Larie for letting me hijack her blog. I wanted a break from the reducing business for a day and Larie kindly obliged. I hope she knows there's a chance I may never give it back, muhaha! ;)

Today I want to share one of my newest but greatest passion: roses!

Image Source

I don't know what it is, but lately I can't get enough of the scent, references to it in skin care, and even song lyrics. It's strange, because while I've always loved the vision of the perfect rose, I never really thought about roses in products one way or another before. And suddenly -- WHAM! I've fallen in love. Here are some rose-related products that have captured my heart:

Diptyque Eau Rose


I sniffed the candle on a whim and it was like spring time hitting me in the face. It was instantly head over heels. The full size Diptyque candle is about CAD$70 and I wasn't about to go there yet, so the Eau Rose rollerball came home with me and I've been applying and applying shamelessly all day every day since I got it about a week ago.


I find that when the rose scent is too strong, it can be headache-inducing. And I like for it to resemble the real rose as much as possible without smelling too much like old ladies or hippie herbals. The Diptyque scent balances everything just right and sits elegantly and softly.


Available at www.diptyqueparis.com.

Alternative: Happ & Stahns 1842 Rose Alba from Anthropologie.

Weleda Wild Rose Skin Care


Formerly a part of the First Lines series of anti-aging products, this toner and moisture cream are packed with antioxidants and are such a treat to use at the end of the day. It's like bathing your face in a rose garden at night. Neither of the products have given trouble to my sensitive, acne-prone skin, and the moisture cream is perfect for the oily-skin types out there who need to add hydration without adding heaviness or grease. Weleda is well-known and regarded in the industry and it's second-best to going out to the gardens and picking the ingredients yourself. Um, scratch that: I think they know what to pick and gather better than I do!

Alternative: Korres Wild Rose Regimen Kit

C. O. Bigelow Rose Salve & By Terry Rouge Delectation in "Vanilla Cinnamon"



There's hardly a need to talk about what the Rose Salve is. Personally, I must admit that I prefer the Smith's Rosebud Salve as it contains more actual rose content, but this C.O. Bigelow one is about a quarter finished and I'm determined to see it through to the end. It's still a good balm and the rose smell is faint and translated into something more sugary.

By Terry is a luxury brand from France that costs about an arm and a leg per product, and I would never have been able to splurge for this lipstick had it not been slashed for clearance when departing from Sephora. By Terry infuses the scent of rose in every single one of their products and applying this silky smooth lipstick leaves me feeling utterly decadent and indulgent each time.

Alternative: Fresh Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Balm

Stella McCartney Stella


Another product that doesn't require an introduction. I've had Stella for quite a while and find it an interesting floral. It's not as delicate and ladylike as one might think. Sniffing Stella always makes me want to be more active, which is a real feat in a scent. The headiness of the rose is balanced securely by the amber, and despite its popularity and commonness (I know five people who wear Stella as their "signature scent"), it's a unique perfume to have in my collection.

Laura Mercier Rose Rendezvous


The beauty of this palette can only be surpassed by the even more outrageously expensive and limited Guerlain Cruel Gardenia. I must admit, I bought this purely for the beauty of the rose pattern, but the rose-gold highlight works well with most skin tones and currently I'm using a corner of this palette carefully in order to preserve the unique design for as long as possible. 

Alternative: Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick in Rose

Fresh Milk & Rose Shampoo


I had my doubts about this CAD$30 shampoo. Ordinarily I would not go there but this rose obsession took a hold and won't let me go! Like all things Fresh, the scent is light and far from overwhelming. My test for a good shampoo is to use it on its own without a conditioner to see how drying (or not) it is. I could tell by the time I was rinsing this out that it's well worth the hefty cost. Hair feels silky and light and my normal wavy hair is perfectly fine with just some serum to keep the frizzes down. Note to wallet: purchase this as a treat for every one or two drugstore shampoo that I finish.

Alternative: Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Shampoo

Dr. Hauschka Rose Body Oil


To be honest, I just got this and used it at the same time I applied some tea tree oil to my face. Damn tea tree oil overwhelms everything and I couldn't smell the rose in this oil. (The Weleda Wild Rose skin care has a stronger scent than this body oil, though.) However, as a body oil, this holds up quite well. It's a bit on the heavy side when you initially apply, but it absorbs nicely into the skin, leaving a thin layer of sheen and slickness. It's fully absorbed by the time you wake up in the morning (I take night showers) and today I feel soft and silky smooth all over.

Alternative: REN Moroccan Rose Otto Body Oil, L'Occitane Rose 4 Reines Body Milk

Aaaand that's it! Sadly I must return Larie to you now, though I want to keep her to myself. (Isn't she so wonderful??) But I feel as though this wouldn't be a proper post on Eye Heart It without some music...

Hold me close and hold me fast
The magic spell you cast
This is la vie en rose
When you kiss me heaven sighs
And tho I close my eyes
I see la vie en rose.
When you press me to your heart
I'm in a world apart
A world where roses bloom
And when you speak, angels sing from above
Everyday words seem to turn into love songs
Give your heart and soul to me
And life will always be la vie en rose.


Have a wonderful weekend!